Visit my LinkedIn profile for my full work and education history, or view my resume.
Assistant Director of Communications
November 2016 – Present
Create and execute communications strategies and marketing campaigns for the Division of Information Resources & Technology (IRT) at Rowan University, write and edit technical documentation for a general audience and manage and optimize IRT’s online presence.
Directed technical communications during COVID-19 pandemic:
- Created online guides about accessing Rowan University resources from off-campus to support remote learning, working and teaching
- Wrote and distributed regular updates via email on technical changes occurring due to the shift to remote operations, and coordinated with University communication liaisons to promote official technical information through various channels
Consolidated and restructured IRT’s web presence:
- Merged two departmental websites, redesigned the information architecture of irt.rowan.edu and transitioned to a new content management system that aligned with University standards
- Launched a new “Our Services” section to make it easier for the Rowan University community to find information about the services we offer and request those services
Developed standard communication processes and guidelines:
- Created and implemented a plan to guide communication efforts during unplanned outages and planned maintenance events
- Established an editorial style guide to promote consistency in the way IRT describes its services and applications, and developed guidelines for creating public documentation, including how-to articles, policies and procedures
- Chaired a cross-departmental group that created a web style guide for IRT applications
NJ Advance Media
May 2011 – November 2016
Developed enterprise stories on lifestyle, business, political and public policy topics in New Jersey and covered breaking news across the state.
Tracked Hurricane Sandy recovery:
- Followed the state’s recovery from Hurricane Sandy by tracking the distribution of federal aid, covering legislative hearings and monitoring community-led rebuilding efforts. Articles of note include:
Launched PolitiFact New Jersey:
- As part of a three-member editorial team, launched a fact-checking organization to hold politicians and public figures accountable for their words.
- Won the 2011 New Jersey Press Association award for innovation for introducing “a service, design, feature or news package … that encourages a new segment of newspaper readers.” Articles of note include:
March 2009 – March 2011
Curated stories to feature on aolnews.com and aol.com, monitored breaking news, wrote headlines and teaser text, produced narrative photo galleries, tailored content for search engine optimization, assigned and edited stories for accuracy, clarity and style and hosted and produced a weekly man on the street news quiz.
The New York Times
December 2008 – February 2009
Worked with a team of designers in InDesign to create a portfolio of the newspaper’s best work for Pulitzer Prize submission.